How To Tell If Your Omaha Property Has A Cockroach Problem
For Omaha property owners, cockroaches are a bane that should never exist. Unfortunately, cockroach problems are all too common and the worst part is you'll often notice signs of their presence before even seeing them. While there are different species of cockroaches, they do share some characteristics making it easy to identify them once you locate them. Cockroaches possess a flat, oval-shaped body that's oily to the touch. Also, they have antennae and a shield-like cover on their head.
Signs Of An Infestation
We briefly mentioned that the signs become obvious before seeing a cockroach. However, that's only helpful when you know the exact signs to be on the lookout for. That's why we've put together a little rundown of the most common signs of a cockroach infestation, so you're not caught unaware:
- Droppings: Since cockroaches will eat nearly anything, they tend to leave their droppings behind wherever they roam. While other pests do the same thing, if you notice the droppings look like coffee grounds or black pepper, it's a good sign that the pest in question is a cockroach
- Smear Marks: When water is abundant, cockroaches leave behind smear marks when walking or crawling. This is largely due to their oily skin.
- Egg Capsules: This pest breeds a lot and they hatch up to 50 at a time since they lay egg capsules containing the eggs. If you notice an oblong, nearly translucent casing anywhere, you likely have an infestation on your hands.
- Shed Skin: As they grow, cockroaches shed their skin. Remnants left behind are the most obvious sign next to seeing a live cockroach itself.
- Odor: Most pests will emit an odor, but this one is musty and oily in scent. Unfortunately, it's rare to notice this sign until the infestation has grown considerably large.
Above all, the most obvious sign of a cockroach infestation is to see one. If you see even one, you have an infestation on your hands since they prefer to hide. Seeing a live one during the day means you have high cockroach numbers on hand.
Cockroaches Are Dangerous
A cockroach infestation is bad enough considering how many are in the home during an infestation. However, the real problem stems from how dangerous cockroaches are to a person's health. Cockroaches are filthy and have disgusting habits. Some of the threats they pose include:
- Food Contamination: This pest is drawn to your food much like you. They will crawl over any food left out in the open, which can lead to food contamination. One disease of particular concern is salmonella.
- Constant Defecation: Since cockroaches defecate and regurgitate all of the time, they naturally spread bacteria and parasites much like other pests that leave behind droppings.
- Other Diseases: Thanks to their habit of crawling in the trash or even on feces, they are associated with other diseases just through walking around. Some examples include pseudomonas aeruginosa, typhoid, and others.
- Allergic Reactions: In high populations, cockroaches are known to cause allergic reactions in some people. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include itching, redness, and severe asthma.
Thanks to the inherent dangers of a cockroach infestation along with their ability to multiply rapidly, it's vital to seek the assistance of a professional pest control company trained in cockroach control. Cockroaches are notoriously difficult to kill, which is why DIY (do it yourself) is never recommended with this pest.
Remove The Cockroaches With Beeline Pest Control
The only good cockroach is one that's far away from your Omaha property. The best way to accomplish this is to partner with the professional team at Beeline Pest Control. We will keep your home cockroach-free and your family safe from unwanted illness. We provide pest control services that safely eliminate existing infestations while protecting you against future problems for complete and effective pest control. Call us today at Beeline Pest Control!