The Best Way To Keep Wasps Out Of Your Omaha Yard
There are several species of wasps that are common to Omaha, Nebraska. While wasps can be useful for the environment, it is essential to identify these stinging insects because they can be dangerous, especially to people who are allergic. If you are an Omaha property owner, keep reading to learn about wasps and proactive tips to keep them out of your yard.
Species Of Wasps In Omaha
Many species of wasps can be found in the Omaha area. Although they can be separated into many categories, the two main categories are social and solitary. Social wasps are more dangerous than solitary wasps because they form large colonies that will attack if threatened.
Common social wasps:
- Yellowjackets are medium-sized wasps with yellow and black banding. This species eats other insects such as flies and spiders.
- Paper Wasps can grow up to an inch and have smoky black wings with brown and yellow markings.
Common solitary wasps:
- Mud Daubers are medium-sized wasps that feed on spiders.
- Cicada Killers are the largest wasp species in the Omaha area, growing up to two inches long. They get their name because they prey on cicadas.
No matter what species you are dealing with, wasps on your property should not be taken lightly. It is best to understand wasps and know what attracts them to your property.
What Attracts Wasps?
Although wasps can come onto your property anytime, some factors attract them. Knowing these factors can help you control them and keep wasps away.
- Food: All pests can make their way onto your property or into your home searching for food. Although wasps can help control insects, it would be beneficial to deter all insects by removing food sources
- Shelter: Wasps look for safe spaces to make their nests—places like infrequently used sheds, porch overhangs, and other protected areas.
- Flowers: Like bees, wasps are attracted to flowers and their nectar.
- Sugar: Wasps are attracted to sugary drinks and foods.
Routine yard maintenance is important to keeping your property clear of unwanted pests. However, this maintenance includes more than raking leaves. You can learn useful prevention tips below.
Knowing the factors that attract wasps can help you eliminate them to protect your Omaha, Nebraska home. Follow the tips below to prevent wasps from coming into your property and your home.
- Regularly clean outdoor trash cans and make sure to keep lids on correctly.
- Remove excess foliage, leaves, and yard debris. This includes removing flowers that attract wasps and replacing them with plants that repel wasps. Plants that repel wasps include mints, eucalyptus, marigolds, and citronella.
- Keep standing water off your property, such as in gutters, birdbaths, and kid’s toys.
- Make sure you have screens and weather stripping in place to keep pests out of your home.
- Routinely check for wasps’ nests and have them removed.
Although you can DIY your pest prevention, you should look toward a trusted company like Beeline Pest Control to care for existing wasps' nests.
Professional Wasp Removal
Existing wasp problems are not something you should attempt to handle on your own. Wasps on your Omaha property can become dangerous if they feel threatened. It is best to contact the Beeline Pest Control professionals to take care of wasps on your property. With our effective stinging insect control, we provide a customized treatment for you and your property.
Don’t wait to contact the professionals at Beeline Pest Control to protect you and your home from stinging pests. Reach out to us today with questions or to schedule service.